Friday, May 23, 2014

The myth of "pushing" content



Recently I was introduced to the model of "pushing" free content in order to get financial benefit in two different contexts.

On the one hand, there was the hypnotic "spiritual course" I recently took (it wasn't sold as that--it was supposed to be a way to reach "Unlimited Abundance" using the Silva Mind Control Method).

I really appreciated its meditative quality and how it can be a useful tool to reach the vibratory levels needed to feel and give love in our universe. However, its intent was to teach people how to manifest wealth (which I do believe is possible) while at the same time asking people to line the pockets of the creators of this course.

The second was a book called "Flow" available on Amazon. I am not sure if the actual ebook was free since my husband downloaded it on to my Kindle. But after going to the site of the author, Ian Hollander, it was clear to me that his business model was the same as the first example.

He urged the reader to lure people with good content and offer a service, but not telling them what it costs up front. Mind you, 99 percent of the content was on the mark--this is a criticism of the advice in the book to "push" material in order to make a profit.

Pushing content is a type of seduction.

I am all for seduction in the bedroom. It is the dance between men and women (or in a same sex context). I am even for seduction when it is "complicated."

However it is my firm belief seduction shouldn't be part of the general interaction between consenting adults in a public social context when money is involved. That is just a form of "dirty" money.

If you are offering a pure and wholesome connection with another human being, let people know up front what something costs. Don't show them a hundred bells and whistles and then say, btw, it will cost you a mere one time deal of $97 or a one time deal of two payments of $99 (AND GET IT QUICK!)

This is what slimy car salesmen do.

Recently I had someone in politics ask me to do some image consulting and my interaction was the exact opposite of seduction.

1. He explained exactly what he wanted me to do, what service he wanted me to provide, and I talked about what I could and could not do in return.

2. He then asked me what I would charge. I said, flat rate $3000, with a $500 deposit for three months of image consulting/coaching.

3. I pointed out how and when he would do social things (foopahs) that made me uncomfortable and pointed out how I thought certain behaviors of his might be interpreted.

4. I admitted when I didn't know the answer for a specific image related issue and suggested going to another person for advice on that particular matter.

5. I wouldn't swerve from what we had initially agreed upon unless we renegotiated.

What was I "doing"? I was modeling integrity. I can't imagine a better image than being an ethical and upfront person (although a cynic might actually see integrity as a detriment in politics).

Integrity can't be bought and sold. It can only be demonstrated in how we interact with each other. And if we truly want to connect with other human beings and not just see them as means to an end, and not feel used or like we are using others, we have to be up front when it comes to money.

Leave seduction in the bedroom.

We can't _push_ the "flow" or unlimited abundance when living authentically and wholly. We have to live with integrity and let our innate bright light lead to whatever the universe wants for us. This is being in the flow.

Feel free to find out more about my metaphysical views in my new book --info at http://smallbookofwisdom.com

However, be forewarned, it costs $1.07 on Amazon.com ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment